Today I was shopping for Christmas presents at the mall. I noticed that the big expensive stores had big bright bags, while the smaller stores had plain ones with no writing. I began thinking about why this was the case and why it mattered that big companies had flashy bags.
Big companies can afford to have bags with their names printed in big bold letters and in brightly painted bags. Like Nordstroms had big silver bags with white bolded letters. They stick out in a crowd like a sore thumb. But on the other hand smaller less expensive stores like, For Every Body, give out plain white bags. These bags are not as fun, you don't have a big huge bag to show off. People walk proudly with their bags which have expensive purchases. The people carrying these bags seem to say, "I can AFFORD to shop at this expensive place." The bigger the bag the more they've spent. It seems as though people who shop at the mall take pride in how many bags they are holding and where the items came from. You can tell where people have been by what bags they are carrying.
Not only are the shoppers proud of the expense of their purchase, the store has a chance to advertise. If people see others carrying bags from a store they will be likely to see what is at that store which is worthwhile. The store benifits by getting more customers that come to their store just so they can see what is there and maybe get a cool bag to carry around. I love getting those cool bags to carry around! It is fun. But it's not the bag that is important, it is the thing inside the bag.
Inside these glam bags we find a variety of items. We find things for ourselves, and for others. These are the things that matter, not the bags. We wouldn't have a bag if it weren't for the item inside. Humans tend to judge things and people from what is on the outside. A bag looks pretty so we assume it was expensive. Or a person is well dressed we assume that they are cool and rich. We don't take into consideration what is on the inside. Without an inside there is no outside. YAY FOR THE INSIDE! Depending on how much money we have depend on what's inside how much it cost and what kind of bags we get. Some can afford to shop at nice places, but as for me I can't, so I think I will stick to the places with boring bags.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment